Wells consents (WONS) guidance clarifies the key matters the North Sea Transition Authority (NSTA) considers when receiving an application for each type of well consent.
Licensees require a consent before undertaking a wide range of activities including:
- a well foundation or other equipment is installed in advance of drilling operations
- a well is spudded, side-tracked or drilling recommences
- any part of a well comes within 125m of a licence boundary
- a well test, or extended well test, is commenced
- a well is abandoned
- a well is suspended
- completion work (including hydraulic fracturing) is carried out on a well
- physical changes are made to a well (re-completion).