Andres R. Romero, Esq., LL.M.
Supervising Counsel, International Litigation, Chevron
- Master of Laws, Harvard Law School (2002). GPA: 6.90/7.0.
- Law degree (Juris Doctor equivalent), Universidad del Zulia, Venezuela (1998). Summa cum laude and Valedictorian. Ranked 1st out of 295.GPA: 3.95/4.
- New York (2003) and Venezuela (1998)
- Fulbright Scholar (2001-2002).
- Member of the Board of Universidad del Zulia Law School, 1996-1998 (elected office).
- Recipient of Presidential Decoration "Jose Felix Ribas," presented by the President and the Minister of Family of Venezuela in recognition of exceptional academic achievements (1997).
- Four-time recipient of the annual University of Zulia Chairman's Award as the highest-achieving student in the School of Law (years 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997).
- Four-time recipient of the annual Dean’s Award as the student with the highest GPA in the School of Law, ranking first out of ~3,500 students (years 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997).
Experience and Practice Areas
Experience providing legal advice in connection with business development, operations, and commercial activity related to oil, gas and LNG projects and assets in Kazakhstan, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, the U.S., and Latin America.
Practice areas include:
- International oil and gas law
- Complex international petroleum transactions
- Joint venture agreements
- Host government contracts
- LNG and gas agreements
- Cross-border unitization (treaties and contracts)
- Law Manager, Chevron's Europe Business Unit. Responsible for managing the legal affairs of the company across its upstream assets in Europe, including assets in the UK, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, and Romania.
- 2008-2010: Deputy General Manager, Negotiations and Legal, Tengizchevroil. Leadership and management role in a department with 23 employees (lawyers and staff). Tengizchevroil is a 50% affiliate of Chevron in Kazakhstan, with production in excess of 700,000 BOE/D, equivalent in size to Fortune 100 companies.
- 1998–2008: In-house counsel with Chevron, providing legal support in Venezuela, the U.S., Trinidad and Tobago, and most of company's development or operating assets in Latin America.
Fulbright Association, Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers Association, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, and International Bar Association.
English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Russian (beginner), and Italian (beginner).