Foreign Policy Adviser at The Office of the President of the Republic of Finland.
Dr. Haukkala is also one of the Principal Investigators of the Finnish Academy funded ReImag collaborative project (2013-17).
Areas of expertise include:
- The European Union's (EU) external relations, especially with Russia and the wider Eastern neighbourhood
- The EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) and the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP)
- Northern Dimension
- The EU enlargement
- European Neighbourhood Policy
- Finnish foreign, security and integration policy
- Northern European security and regionalization
- International Relations theory