Ms. Ayesha Dias has a BA (Hons) in Political Science, LL.B ,and LL.M from the University of Bombay and a LL.M degree from Columbia University, New York with specialization in human rights.
Since 2002, Ms. Dias is a Consultant to the Bureau for Development Policy (Democratic Governance Group) UNDP, New York on access to justice and human rights issues. She has initiated and directs the program on Human Rights and the International Natural Resource Industry at the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy, (CEPMLP) University of Dundee, Scotland. As a Senior Adviser in Law and Policy from 1995-1999, in the United Nations, Division for Sustainable Development, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations she undertook policy studies on legal aspects of human rights, sustainable development, governance and environmental justice.
Ms. Dias has conducted training workshops for capacity building in the environmental management of natural resources in developing countries and has been a resource person in training of trainers workshops, at the Asia-Pacific Center for Environmental Law, University of Singapore and at the International Environmental Law training program conducted by IUCN and UNITAR, New York.
She is a contributor on human rights, environment and corporate accountability to the UNDP Human Development Report 2000. Prior to her joining the United Nations, (1992-1994), Ms. Dias initiated the environment unit for teaching and research at CEPMLP. She has published widely in the field of natural resources and human rights. She was also the editor of the Annual Review of United Nations Affairs from 1995-2004.
- Dias, Ayesha. Beyond Corporate Social Responsibility by Jedrez George Frynas (Cambridge University Press, 2009). Book review, forthcoming in Journal of World Energy Law and Business, 2009.
- Dias, Ayesha. Corporate Accountability in International Environmental Law by Elisa Morgera (Oxford University Press, 2009). Book review, forthcoming in Oil, Gas and Energy Law, 2009.
- Dias, Ayesha, 'The International Context for Access to Justice' in Dias A. and Welch G. (Eds.) UNDP Justice for the Poor: Perspectives on Accelerating Access, Oxford University Press, June 2009. Editorial Notes and epilogue as Co-Editor, UNDP Justice for the Poor: Perspectives on Accelerating Access, Oxford University Press, June 2009.
- Dias, Ayesha, 'Promoting Access to Justice through Judicial Reform: Shared Challenges in Securing Access to Justice- the Indian and Sri Lankan Experiences' in Armytage L. and Metzner L. (Eds.) Searching for Success in Judicial Reform - Voices from the Asia-Pacific Experience, Oxford University Press, January 2009.
- Dias, Ayesha, "Human Rights Accountability of the Minerals Development Industry, Glorious Quest or Impossible Dream?", Greener Management International Issue 52, October 2007 (Greenleaf Publishing, UK);
- Co-editor, Oil Gas and Energy Law Intelligence, Oil, Gas and Energy Law (4), 2004, (Special Feature Corporate Social Responsibility);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Good Governance, Business and Human Rights in Energy Exporting Countries: A Supreme Challenge for CSR and Corporate Accountability", Oil, Gas and Energy Law, (2) Issue 4, October 2004;
- Dias, Ayesha, "Oil and Human Rights", Oil, Gas and Energy Law (2) 2003, OGEL, www.ogel.org;
- Dias, Ayesha, "International Standard-Setting on the Rights of the Indigenous Peoples - Implications for Mineral Development in Africa," presented at the 1998 IBA Conference, Cape Town, South Africa. 6 South African Journal of Environmental Law and Policy (1999);
- Dias, Ayesha, "The Oil and Gas Industry in the Tangled Web of Environmental Regulation: Spider or Fly?" in Environmental Regulation of Oil and Gas (Zhiguo Gao Ed., 1998);
- Dias, Ayesha, "The Socio-Economic Implications of Privatization of State-Owned Mineral Assets in Developing Countries," United Nations, ST/TCD/19 (1997);
- Dias, Ayesha, "At the 50th Anniversary of the United Nations- A Retrospective Look at the Development of Mineral Resources," Natural Resources Forum (November 1995);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Environmental Law for Sustainable Development for Natural Resources: Mechanisms for Implementation and Enforcement," Natural Resources Forum (November 1995);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Environmental Law, Policy and Practice in India," Environmental Liability, Issue 3, Vol.2 (July 1994);
- Dias, Ayesha, "In Light of UNCED: Permanent Sovereignty Over Natural Resources," Environmental Policy and Law, 24/4 (1994);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Judicial Activism in the Development and Enforcement of Environmental Law: Some Comparative Insights from the Indian Experience," Journal of Environmental Law (Autumn 1994);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Towards Environmental Standards," in Mining and the Environment, Mining Journal Books (London 1992);
- Dias, Ayesha, "Bonded Labour: Challenge for Human Rights Activism in India" Peaslee Award Winning Essay at the Columbia Center for Human Rights (1987);
- Dias, Ayesha, Transboundary Pollution Accidents: Towards an Effective International Regime, in Industrial Hazards in Transnational World: Risk, Equity and Empowerment. Council on International and Public Affairs (New York 1987); and
- Dias, Ayesha (Ed.), Annual Review of United Nations Affairs (Oceana Publications, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).
OGEL Special Feature Corporate Social Responsibility